Complicated Spells Are Not Always Better Spells. Sure, some of us might be drawn to elaborate rituals, planning by the alignment of the planets, gathering obscure materials, and writing epic poetry for our spells. However, no witch should be deterred from making magick because they don’t have the time, space, energy, money, materials, or know-how to create a huge production for one spell.
Many of the best spells I’ve ever accomplished with great results have been spells that required little to no tools at all. Spells to become unnoticeable (invisible), spells to find my soul mate, spells to conceive – I’ve done these with pen and paper or nothing at all and seen results.
I’m not saying there is no point to the materials, timing, or other pieces to ritual spell work (there is) but I’m a big believer of doing what you can, when you can, with what you have.
When Are Simpler Spells Better?
Simple, quick, or no-tool spells are best when:
- You don’t have the space for tools or complicated ritual spells. Perhaps you are traveling, sharing space, aren’t out of the closet, or live in a cupboard under the stairs.
- You don’t have the tools. Perhaps you don’t have easy access to them, the budget for them, or the know-how to make your own at this time.
- You don’t have the time. By this I mean, you want to get into the work and don’t have the time to wait for a specific astral alignment, to obtain tools, or to create an altar or space for your work in a ritual format. This DOES NOT mean you don’t have time to do a spell or see results. Magick is not necessarily or always a quick fix. While I have had experiences with instant magick results and seen witches achieve their goals in quick fashion, its not particularly reliable.
- You’re overwhelmed or lack the know-how. Don’t let the charts of correspondences and massive tomes of spells with fifteen spells for each individual problem you might have deter you from getting your hands dirty. It can get overwhelming when you are just starting. Simple spells are a great way to get in there while you’re still learning.
When Not to Cast Simple Spells
On the other hand, simpler spells are not the best route when:
- You’re doing magick that involves a large group of people. Ritual spells are best here because a larger group usually needs more triggers (chanting, scents like incense, visuals, theatre) to all get into the same mindset and resonance.
- Your’e doing magick for a goal that has long-term or far-reaching effects. If this is for something that you will be working on over a long period of time, it is good to have an anchor point to come to such as a standing altar to direct the energy to and from.
- You’re doing magick when you are unwell, have low energy, or need help focusing. Having tools and correspondences can really help us when casting spells is just too much for us to do on our own. This is also a good time to reach out for the thoughts and energies or spell work of others.
K.I.S.S – Keep It Simple Sorcerer
Get back to your spell-casting basics. What is your desire? Why do you want it? What obstacles are keeping you from achieving you goal? Is this in alignment with your True Will (your Purpose or simply what is best for you)? Then ask what can you do magickally to make this happen? This can be as simple as creating a chant, a positive affirmation, visualizing or meditation involving seeing yourself achieving your goal, or can be the foundation for some pen and paper sigil magick.K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Sorcerer - Not all Spell Work needs to be complicated to work. #startwitchin Click To Tweet
You might turn to a divination method to help you answer these questions. This can clarify your intentions and needs as well as alert you to any unknown obstacles and allies or aid that you might not have considered.
Want to learn more about creating spells that actually work? Sign up for my newsletter and receive a free copy of my ebook Spell Check. This contains the steps that I use when creating spells and ways to check in to see what obstacles might be getting in your way. I’ve seen this process work time and time again in my life and I want to share it with you so that we can co-create a magickal world together.