December 3rd – 22nd, 2017, Mercury has entered a three-week retrograde in Sagittarius. To bring this into perspective, Mercury is generally considered the bearer of energy focused on communication, business, money flow, and technology. Sagittarius is the realm of philosophy, travel, religion, and strong opinions. Mercury doesn’t feel at home in the sign of Sagittarius so a return to this sign in the form of a retrograde is particularly uncomfortable for this type of energy. A Sagittarian Mercury Retrograde certainly puts us all in an interesting position.
I dislike generalizing retrogrades as times of bad luck, dysfunction, and focus on Murphy’s Law of what can go wrong will. Instead, this is a reminder that we cannot always be on the go and focusing on production. We have to pause at times, turn inward, and reevaluate. This is part of a healthy ebb and flow of life reflected in the macrocosm of Astrology. Retrogrades are a reminder to take a breath.
I find a Mercury Retrograde in Sagittarius to be fortuitous for one big reason. At the end of the retrograde, Saturn will transition from Sagittarius to Capricorn.
Ending a Sagittarian transition, Saturn has spent the last 2 years forcing our philosophies and beliefs into action. This came out as the New Age and self-help industries booming, a change in archaic religious law, and dogmatism in politics.
Sagittarian Mercury Retrograde, before Saturn leaves the sign for Capricorn, gives us an opportunity to reevaluate our believes. What will we take with us and what from the last two years will we leave behind?
Resources for Retrograde and Reevaluation
In my recent review of An Enchanted Life by Patricia Telesco, I shared that my favorite part of this book (and one of the reasons I re-read it every year) is the section on Reevaluating Your Beliefs. This is a perfect resource for turning inward in the next few weeks. Us it to figure out what you truly believe before moving out of the intensity of the last two year’s.
Rachel of Aeolian Heart not only poetically and succinctly explains the importance of this retrograde and transition on her blog, she also offers a Free Mercury Retrograde Survival Guide.
For those of you who want to get deep and serious about reviewing the past year in order to move ahead with your goals in 2018, my Manifest Your Magickal Year workbook has a whole section for this!
For more Tarot advice during Mercury Retrograde, check out Biddy Tarot’s Tarot Reader’s Guide to Mercury Retrograde.
Journal Prompts for Sagittarian Mercury Retrograde
- How do you feel right now? Take a moment to check in with yourself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually before trying to tackle the big stuff.
- What do you believe? Get serious here. Do you believe in God(s), spirits, life after death?
- Do you believe in Destiny? Free will? A mixture of the two?
- Are you committed to anything, be it a person, ideal, or yourself? How do you feel about commitment?
- How have your beliefs effected you? Does belief make you a better person? Does it effect how you view and treat others?
- How have the beliefs of others effected you? Consider family, friends, co-workers, peers, politicians, and people on the street.
- Have you seen any growth from your beliefs? How have they made you different from how you were in the past?
- How do you see your beliefs changing you and others in the years ahead?